Wednesday, April 13, 2011

totally copying

Resurrection Eggs. I'm sure most of you have already heard of these but I sure hadn't until a few days ago. I am totally copying this idea from another blog and I'm so excited about it! We will start them tonight and each day open an egg with the boys until Easter Sunday. It's the same kind of concept as the Jesse Tree, but instead it centers around the Resurrection. Again, another Bible-centered tradition we can do with our boys to take the focus off of bunnies, candy and baskets. Here are my eggs all numbered and ready to start opening!

And here is the schedule we are following. I'm sure there are different ones, and I've heard you can also buy Resurrection Eggs already stuffed at a Christian book store. I found that I already had most of these things around the house and put it all together in about 30 minutes (and maybe there a few that I'm going to get ready in the next week before it's time to open that egg :-). So go ahead and do this with your children - it starts tonight but you can totally pull it off and if not, no biggie if you skip a couple of days in the beginning. We will be reading out of the Children's Bible and I found the larger eggs work best for holding most items.

Day 1: Jesus washes the disciples feet (John 13:1-20)
Symbol: washcloth - We may actually have the boys wash each other's feet! :-)

Day 2: Passover (Luke 22:7-23)
Symbol: saltine cracker - Put a few in a baggie from the kitchen

Day 3: Triumphal Entry (Matthew 21:1-9)
Symbol: donkey - I had one in my nativity scene or think Little People toys! :-)

Day 4: Jesus Prays on Mount of Olives (Luke 22:39-46)
Symbol: praying hands - I printed a picture of this off the internet

Day 5: Jesus Arrested (Luke 22:47-54)
Symbol: flashlight (darkness) - Had a very tiny flashlight

Day 6: Peter's Denial (Matthew 26:69-75)
Symbol: rooster - Again, think Little People and maybe mine's a chicken...shhhh

Day 7: Judas Returns Silver (Matthew 27:3-9)
Symbol: 3 silver coins - In my purse

Day 8: Jesus before Pilate (John 18:28-32)
Symbol: crown for a king - Printed this off the internet too

Day 9: Jesus to be Crucified (John 19:1-16)
Symbol: crown of thorns - I found a thorny bush in the backyard, clipped a small piece and formed it into a circle

Day 10: Crucifixion (John 19:17-37)
Symbol: cross/nails - Taped two small sticks together to make the cross

Day 11: Jesus is Buried (John 19:38-42)
Symbol: rock - Duh, check the backyard

Day 12: Resurrection (Matthew 28:1-10)
Symbol: empty egg


Have fun and Happy Eastering!!!

4 comments:

Claire & Eden said...

LOVE it!! Thanks for sharing this - haven't come across it yet! Have you heard of resurrection rolls? We did those last year - I'm going to post about it sometime this week - you have he kids help you roll a marshmallow in a crescent roll, roll it in sugar and cinnamon and then eat them Easter morning - the marshmallow disappears and leaves the inside empty just like the tomb!

Melissa Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa Jackson said...

Very neat! I also got this link from Braden and Bethany Hoezle's blog last year. Sounds cool.

http://blessingsforlife.com/recipes/holidays/resurrectionstorycookies.htm

Lori said...

thanks for sharing, i've seen these to buy, but how easy is it to make!!! :)